My first attempt at a hat with Milliput putty is this conversion of an AiP 1900 Russian officer to a Romanian officer (who will ultimately become a Molatero Light Infantry officer).
...On a side note I haven't quite decided what the collective term for a group of citizens from Molatero will be - Molaterians? (...Actually that was just off the top of my head, but I quite like it!) :)
OK then, my Molaterian infantry officer sports this rather dapper French style kepi, but of the more modern upright style as worn by turn of the century Romanian officers. This is a bit of a git to model in Milliput and I'm not all-together sure if I have the scale exactly right...It is a first effort.
Getting the darn thing symmetrical - working in 3 dimensions - is a challenge as each time I sanded one facet of the hat to get it straight or whatever I inevitably ended up sending another facet out of shape. So round and round I went!
The goal here if to produce a master which I can then send up to my brother so he can copy it in resin. I will undoubtedly need a few copies of this style of head/hat combo for various Molaterian officers in my army...
I'll have it copied as it is, pretty featureless - this is so I can customise the copies with different badges and decorations to represent different regiments. You might notice I gave my chap a better moustache as the AiP one was a bit feeble.
But now onto the far trickier Romanian infantry capella style hat! This will test my skills for sure.