Sunday, 17 June 2018

Relaxing Weekend, Peg Fun

I'm having a rest from peg soldiers this weekend as I don't want to do my usual thing, which is to obsessively work on a particular project until I burn out and get bored! So, I've been deliberately working at a couple of things completely unrelated to my usual stuff (although, still in wood).

First off, in the same vein as my little peg bi-plane I decided to explore what else I could make from small pieces of wood and peg related parts! I have always liked traditional 1930s toys and so racing cars quickly came to mind...


I have actually gotten a bit further on than the basic work seen in the above snap and reckon I will have these banged out by mid-week. I'm keeping the modelling very simple and stylised in keeping with the 'toy car' idea.

Next, I have been getting interested in RPG game like Dungeons & Dragons (in fact, I attended my first game of D&D just last Thursday) and so I thought it would be nice to see if I could make something 'Tolkien-esque' looking out of pegs. My first attempt is a little basic (most of the wok will be in the painting)...


And that's it really, a bit Molatero un-related, but it's all good practise for working with wood.

Hope you all had a nice weekend (now that the World Cup has started)!

Wednesday, 13 June 2018

More Peg Prototypes - June Part 1

I'm still trying to hone my skill and style for making my little peg soldiers. Here's my latest prototypes, an 1870 Prussian Uhlan (lancer) and an 1900 British Infantryman...




I'm still learning lots as I go along but I feel I'm making some headway. The infantryman seems about there as a template for the proportions and style of painting the peg 'body'. But, I still have a little way to go with my cavalryman. Still not 100% sure about the way I model the rider's legs.

Another concern is that I'm still using aerosol spray lacquer (Wilko's brand rattlecan) and this is very wasteful. Spray-on gloss does give a lovely even coat, but it's very indiscriminate and despite the fact I use a small spray both (with extractor fan) I can fell the stickiness of the varnish on my skin when I'm done. I'm guessing about 40% or maybe even more of the varnish doesn't go on the model at all!

I've ordered a can of paint-on varnish and will knock up yet another prototype this week to test this brush on varnishing technique - will it pool and drip?

(Will have to think about getting a little display cabinet soon as my collection of peg figures is growing rapidly!)

Sunday, 10 June 2018

Sunday Update

Another nice and quiet Sunday where I can potter around doing some minor jobs (wife is sunning herself in the garden).

This week I'm hoping to make some headway by finishing off the cue of figures that need painting. So, to begin with here's a couple of primed figures that I've sketched the uniform detail onto ready for slapping some paint on...



But, mainly, I've been faffing about with my new Dremel drill Press. As I do more and more wooden projects I've ended up expanding the range of small woodworking power tools on my desk.

The Dremel Drill Press seemed a great piece of kits now that I'm trying to work out how to slot wooden components together. Not only is it a stable platform for precise drilling, the whole drill section can be flipped sideways a s neat little disc sanding station. :)


The dining room table isn't it's permanent home, you have to assemble the press and there was more space to do this on our big dinning table. The picture above shows the Dremel tool slotted into it's collar on the press and also a range of new drill bits I bough (cheaply) at Wilkos.

Disappointingly, the one thing the press didn't come equipped with was a clamping system for holding object firmly while drilling. It has slots cut out in the base for some sort of blot clamps but these are not included!

I, therefore, ended up having to fork out some extra cash on a small vice clamp...


This is the Yakamoz Universal Mini Drill Press Vise Clamp and it comes with fours screw in orange plastic pegs for holding irregular shape objects. I got use of this straight away as my daughter asked me to drill a hole in a small shell to make her a necklace...


This addition means that I am only short of two more power tools that I want to add to my modelling 'workshop'. I'd very much like a mini circular table top saw (for cutting precise angles) and a small lathe (for turning my own peg soldiers, etc), but these will have to wait as both items are fairly expensive.

Well, that's my Sunday. I'll get on with a little painting but I'm not rushing as it's back to work tomorrow. I may even join the wife in the garden - as it's sunny - and have a beer! :)

Friday, 8 June 2018

'The Purple Baron'

Here's the completion photos for my first peg aeroplane, 'The Purple Baron'. (Click on these to enlarge...)



"Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat!" Get that bounder!


Very happy with this in the end, despite it starting as just an whim of experimentation. Also, it's rather nice to do something in the Molatero theme again.

This will hopefully be the first of my little Molatarian Air Force collection. The 'Purple Baron' is a character from the 1917 Uprising and he represents a fighter from the Royalist faction in that conflict.

Above: The Purple Baron meets his demise!

Wednesday, 6 June 2018

First Molatero Warplane Painted

Just some quick snapshots of my little peg bi-plane as it nears completion.

I'm pleased as I thought I might be with the purple colour scheme, though it did take a couple of coats  as it's a bitch of a colour to get good opacity. Also, I decided to paint the 'Royalist' emblems (the crosses) freehand, so lots of painting with my tongue out!


You can probably see how streaky the first boat of purple was in the above picture. But it all came together nicely with the application of a second coat...



The photos make the crosses seem neater than it actually is! SO, I'm pleased...Hee hee.