Saturday 27 June 2020

Peg Figure Experiment - Part 4

Moving on with my peg soldier experiments, Figure 1 (ACW Union soldier) is progressing well and I should have a reveal of it up in the next few days - while Figure 2 is definitely starting to take shape.

Before I show you how Fig. 2 is looking I suppose I better introduce you to a bit of reference material that I collected for these experiments...


I've been 'reading' (listening to) Douglas C. McChristian's audiobook 'Regular Army O!: Soldiering on the Western Frontier, 1865 - 1891', an wonderfully evocative insight into the Western period US Army. This got me interested in the evolution of the US soldier and so I decided that when I am making peg prototypes I would take the opportunity to produce some of the uniforms showing the American soldier throughout history. And so...


This is my take on an American infantryman from the Mexican War (1846-48). It's an interesting uniform that I *think* I vaguely remember from the movie 'The Alamo' (possibly)? This was an exceedingly engaging period as - along with the 1812 War - it gives you a bit of an insight as to how the American Army was comparable to European ones during the Napoleonic influenced period of military history.

U.S. Army full dress and campaign uniforms, 1835-1851.
Anyway, nearly finished the construction, just some equipment to attach and then it's ready for priming and painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment