Saturday 20 June 2020

Peg Figure Experiment - Part 2.5

Just a little Saturday morning tinkering... And today I'm making hats!

I'm using my little press-moulds and Milliput (my favourite modelling putty) to knock out a few little hats/helmets...


The moulds themselves are made using perhaps the simplest moulding technique, 'press-moulding' is exactly what it sounds like in that you press your original into the soft mould material ('Oyumaru Instant Mold') and when it hardens you stuff your putty material in to make your copy. Phew!

Obviously, the usefulness of this type of moulding is a little limited and is only suitable for less complex objects. But it does me fine, I may look into proper resin casting at some point in the future.

Once the moulded copy has hardened you just pop it out the casting material and you have a hat (or whatever)!


There is a bit of finishing off to do to get rid of any excess 'flash' but it's a handy little time saver. I know, this means part of my 'wooden figure' isn't wood, but I make this compromise considering the odd shapes of hats and how long it would take to carve out a little regiment of the bleeders! 😄

Incidentally, the hatted figure sort of gives you a clue to what period/uniform I have chosen for this little chap. But I'll be doing the 'reveal' of my choices in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment