Monday 1 June 2020

So, What Next?

My main activity at the moment is unearthing my modelling equipment and old projects from under all the junk that has built up in my attic 'man cave' over the past two years!

Unfortunately, it seems like my toy soldier projects are right at the back of my mountain of crap! 😂

So, in the meantime, a lot of my Molatero work is just sorting and planning. That said, I do have a couple of actual crafting idea I would like to get on with as soon as possible...

The first is another little plane. Having done a couple of bi-planes I would love to do an early 1930s period 'racer' monoplane.I think that would look quite cool (excuse my dodgy doodles)...


Next, I want to experiment a bit with doing a peg figure that has arms. So far I have mainly painted on my peg soldier's arms, so I'd like to see what I can do with some pieces of lolly sticks just to make my figures a little more 3D...


I have done one pair of figures that had appendages, my two mini-peg figures and they had 'hands' of sorts...

My 'minis' compared to my usual 50mm peg soldier. I tried out making some
rudimentary hands out of craft foam with these so I could make different poses.
Actually, I forgot that I had also tried out using small beads to make some
simple hands with my D&D figures, but the arms are still just painted on.
So it would be interesting to follow this development of my technique and see what the bigger versions would look like and what pros and cons there are to adding arms.

And finally, still thinking along the lines of my little planes, I'd also like to explore a third peg scale. That is what I am calling my 'bead scale', as you will note that the little pilots of my bi-planes where simply small wooden beads.

What would a complete bead-soldier look like? 😆

Yeah, pretty tiny, but I'm curious - I'd also like to do more vehicles using the 'bead scale'. I have already done my little racing cars, but I'd like to use the same general technique to do some military vehicles as well.

What about a armoured car or tank in this 'bead scale'? Hmmmm?
So, there you go, actually several ideas there (not just two as I originally thought). HOWEVER, the one caveat is me being able to clear enough space on my work bench so I can use my power tool, particularly my fret saw and my circular sander.


Watch this space!

1 comment:

  1. Ref your 'bead' scale - you could easily use the kebab method whereby you skewer spherical (head) & cylindrical (body) beads or have you thought about using Hama beads? I've experimented with both the tiny Hama beads and the larger ones. The big advantage is that they are pre-coloured - so a grey, red, black combination is a Brit Napoleonic figure - you only need to add blobs of flesh colour and a brown stripe for a musket! They look perfectly acceptable en masse and from a distance!

    ReplyDelete