Wednesday 17 June 2020

Peg Figure Experiment - Part 2

Starting to get into my modelling flow again. Carrying on my peg figure experiments - where I am playing with new ideas for adding additional features - I have made a pair of lolly-stick arms for my third prototype figure...


As you can see from the picture I have carved out a pair of little hands. This is something new I am trying out - the way I see it, the more features actually carved into the wood itself the less I have to carefully paint, thus saving time.

Next I attached the arms to the 'shoulder joints' with just Super Glue, as these are just tests I decided not to drill and pin these on...


I can't decide... Do these look a bit odd - maybe it's because the arms are flat. There again these are supposed to be toy soldiers. I'll leave judgement until the figure is fully painted.

To put the arms into context I made a couple of little wooden rifles out of more lolly-stick (actually, I think these were coffee stirrers). The whole idea of attaching the 'arms' with a gap between them and the body is so I could insert rifles in-between them in a 'port arms' pose...


I really enjoyed making the rifles (or muskets) and I did contemplate doing them with bayonets but I'm not sure how fragile this might make them (I will have to do some tests). Again, I will just glue these on but will drill and pin them on future finished models...


So, there we go. Things are starting to look good, and the separate arm version (figure No. 3) looks better for having the rifle added. It makes sense of the arms being separated from the body in the way they are now. And looking at it, the elongated shoulders will be great for adding epaulettes!

OK, I'll crack on with adding some smaller details and then onto the big decision - what uniforms to paint these figures with?

No comments:

Post a Comment