Sunday 21 June 2020

Peg Figure Experiment - Part 3

Quick Sunday night update on the peg figure experiments...

I'll be completing the two prototypes one at a time, so let's get on with the first - 'The Yankee'.

There were a few things I wanted to try out, in particular a quicker and easier way to do the feet. I also wanted to try adding more details like belts and other equipment, but also wanted to try different materials to make the extras, like styrene for any thin or flexible parts and small wood pieces for larger items. (The difference being that in my early peg soldiers I painted on these features.)


It will be interesting to see just how quicker this make the painting process now I have less fiddly outline painting. Even small things like doing the rank stripes as raised stripes means I don't have to painstakingly and carefully paint nice neat lines on, a big time saver (not to mention the reduced strain on my poor old eyes).

Just how far I go with adding the 'extras' in the future I'm unsure...Though I don't want to go too mad as - otherwise - I might as well just make 'normal' model soldiers! So, getting the balance between simplicity and attractive levels of detail will take some working out.

Next: Painting my Union Soldier.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good. Have you thought about using coloured card for the belts/stripes? These could be affixed after the uniform has been painted and just before varnishing.

    ReplyDelete