Monday 25 June 2018

Peg Saxon (or D&D) Warrior

Managed to knock one off my cue of unfinished models this morning! This is the prototype peg model I did to explore how I would go about creating fantasy D&D figures.

However, I am more of a fan of Tolkien's vision of a fantasy world than I am of the normal Heroic Sword & Sorcery ideal. I like Tolkien's (and Jackson's interpretation in his movies) use of Anglo-Saxon mythology and social history rather than a completely fanciful 'look'. Giving a fantasy world the semblance of some real historical background - to my mind - makes that world more believable.

Anyway, so my little D&D warrior turned out very Saxon looking...Though it is very stylistic...





Aside from the Saxon influence for the clothing and equipment I took a lot of my design cues from Graymouser65 over at the Wooden Warriors blog. Indeed, this is where I got the idea to try out a fantasy peg figure in the first place.

As mentioned in my previous post, I will be following this idea up with a small series of figures representing my D&D group.

1 comment:

  1. He looks awesome! Yes, very Saxon in appearance I agree.

    I have to warn you. If you get bitten by the "fantasy bug," figuring out how to do some of the monsters can be incredibly addicting.

    ReplyDelete