Sunday 31 May 2020

Full 'toy town' or Not?

Just a quicky...

I had a couple of very interesting comments in response to my post about trees (and general scenery) for my peg soldiers were I to use them in a tabletop game. Joppy and jFidz, many thanks...

The upshot is - concerning a general style that would compliment my wooden toy soldiers - do I go 'full toy town' or not???

What I mean by that is; rather than model scenery in the traditional war-gaming fashion - i.e. semi-realistic - do I commit to adopting a completely wooden toy theme and add traditional wooden building blocks as scenery items? Blocks like these...


Now, there are pros and cons to this style. The major con might be - although my peg soldiers are simplified are they still too detailed caricatures to be considered to match the minimalist toy block style?

On the other hand, adopting the toy blocks as scenery is really flexible, I could make almost any piece of scenery really quickly and cheaply using these blocks. The above pictured set is 100 pieces for just £13! I reckon I'd get a small town or castle out of that and still have some 'scatter' scenery left over. 😊

Too simple???

3 comments:

  1. HG Wells used wooden blocks, albeit not painted in bright colours, alongside his Britains figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on the right track. Your troops do not look like anyone those of else so why should your towns look like the usual war-game buildings?

    ReplyDelete












  3. These are perfect. Just paint them in terracotta for the roofs and limestone stone or off-white for the walls, then as much or as little detail as you want for the doors and windows. I made some shanties out of wooden offcuts that way.

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete