Thursday 1 March 2018

Pawn Stars in 28mm.

Sorry about the title! Actually, this isn't the post I meant to be next in this series on 'peg doll soldiers'. But I couldn't resist having a go at these little chaps as they are so quick and easy to produce.

The term 'pawn' or 'pawn doll' came to me from Dale, over at Wooden Warriors, and it's such an appropriate description of these diminutive peg doll variants that I think I will pinch it. :)

Variations in the 'pawn' shape. If you search online you will find ready-made
'peg doll' blanks in many different sizes which adhere to this style. Some are
quite big and others have over-sized heads.

Essentially, all this model is is a 'sawn off' (literally) peg doll, roughly 28mm in height - although I'm not sure I would say it was '28mm scale' because of the stylised cartoon proportions. Graphically, it's a very simplified style, again very 'cartoony' but would be a lot of fun for tabletop gaming (particularly RPG).

Anyway, on with the show...

First of all, I cut down a couple of pegs of two slightly different designs, one a true 'dolly peg' (slightly tapered) and the other a custom peg doll blank (with a higher, more rounded, 'shoulder')...

Two 28mm 'pawns' (front) with one of my other 48mm style peg blanks for
comparison. Of course, these don't really adhere to standard scales.

So, onto the basing. Again, I am using a 25mm MDF gaming base, not just because that's what I happen to have to hand, but also because I want to use something that's a 'standard' size. I might have just got away with standard 15mm circular bases, but I like a bit of 'breathing space' around my based models. Going for a standard size also means I can take advantage of the available accessories, like unit movement trays...

(I could also consider whether I might want to make my bases magnetised...But, that's not important at the moment.)

Unlike my last 'peg soldier' - which was a fantasy 'toy solder' - I fancied trying to create some mini-historical figures. I want to see how minimalist I can go and yet still have a viable gaming piece. So, still no arms and other additional 'realistic' features, but I will give some emphasis to the hats.

Military hats have always been an important way of identifying particular regiments, therefore, if I do little else, a nice big hat should set the right martial tone! So, let's make some hats...


The historic uniforms I had in mind are a French Napoleonic and an ACW Confederate soldier (just because I have never painted these types of soldier before). Obviously, these won't be museum quality renditions, they will be more like cartoon versions with the details grossly simplified.

The most immediate issue is how to make the hats a little more accurate. As you can see I have made the principal shapes of the two hats out of basic geometric shape (made of parts of my left over pegs). But, what they need now is some peaks and the easiest way I can think of to make these is to glue wooden peaks on which I will make out of sections of popsicle sticks...

Left: The Confederate kepi hat. Right: French Imperial Guard hat.
To ensure that the join is strong I drilled a small hole in both hat and peak and popped in a small piece of brass rod. I then superglued all the parts together, once dry they seemed quite sturdy.

Next: Arming my soldiers...

No comments:

Post a Comment