Monday 24 June 2013

Many moustaches, Burkish infantry fashion

Looking like a meeting of the militant section of the Chuckle Brothers league, my Burkish soldiers are taking shape...



The Tamiya orange - as I mentioned in my last post - was a nightmare, it's like painting with PVA. It dries super quick which is a real pain when you are painting a unit like this. So I am thinking of trying out Vallejo paints on my next regiment.

I am on the last large block of paint now, the purple tunics, and after that it's smaller items and then detailing.

Next regiment:
I am already putting thought to my next regiment (or is it battalion, I forget the FLW rules) and will be moving on to the Molatero main force itself. I intend two regiments of line infantry, a Guards and a Jäger. Both of these will be based on the research I have been doing on Balkans Wars uniforms with my Jägers based on Romanians of the period.

From there I will move on to my cavalry support and then finally my artillery (then start to populate my general staff and auxiliary). But that's a long time off yet, in the meantime I await pay day and then will make my order for three boxes of Armies in Plastic's Boxer Rebellion Russians which will be acting as the basis of my Jäger unit.

2 comments:

  1. I've been admiring your Burkes for a while now and agree with you that Tamiya paints are hopeless for brushing with. Their thinner helps a little, but not much, as the pot evaporates.

    My paint of choice at the moment is ordinary acrylic emulsion paint, artist's gouache, or Docraft's" Artiste" acrylic paint ... but then I'm a rubbish painter :O)

    Kind regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, glad you are enjoying my Burkes! :)

      I think the gooey Tamiya acrylics are designed more for airbrushing (intended to be thinned), I went out and bought a couple of bottles of Vallejo colours yesterday to try out, so we shall see.

      It's interesting to think about trying ordinary artists acrylics too - I have some in a draw somewhere, I shall have to hunt them out.

      Delete