Wednesday 15 July 2020

A Call to Arms! Peg Priming.

I always like getting a model to the priming stage, it's a satisfying close of one major phase of modelling - construction - and the start of the final phase of painting.


My primer of choice is the bargain basement Wilko's Gray Primer spray. Some people like to prime white and other like black, but as usual I prefer to split the difference and go with gray. There's no real deal breaking reason for this, though I sometime find that covering white can be a little tricky (it sometimes takes a decent coat to cover if the paint you are using is a little thin or translucent) and black can slightly mute bring colours (again depending how opaque your top coat paints are).

So after a good rattle I gave my peg figures a good couple of coats...


Ahhh, Problemos!
One thing priming does tend to do is uncover any little blemishes or faults that have occurred during construction but you didn't notice. The flat grey colour seem to make it easier to spot boo-boos! (So I guess there is an advantage to gray after all - white and black both tend to help hide minor faults.)

In this case, I had been a little slap dash in the way I had tried to smooth down the metal pin heads which protruded a bit at the shoulder joint of the arms. For expediency I had used my Dremmel tool and a metal cutting disc to grind down the pin heads but - obviously - was not paying a great deal of attention (I think it was late) and I accidentally nicked the wood of the arms here and there...


AND SO... I had to resort to using some Green Stuff putty to fill these little nicks with a view to sanding them flush once they had dried...


A good going over with an emery board soon smoothed out the filler and we were back at square one ready to prime these parts once again...


Another blast with the gray primer did the trick. Note to self: Next time remember to recess the drill-hole so that the head of the metal pin does not protrude. A small spot of putty would then be enough to hide the pin. Also, be a bit more careful using the Dremmel in future! 😂


There we go, that's a bit better...Now, to paint the little blighters! 😀

1 comment:

  1. Haven’t popped by for a bit but great work going on. Some really innovative things going taking the peg figures forward greatly. I look forward to seeing the painted ones.

    ReplyDelete