Sunday 17 May 2020

Peg Bomber Flies Again!

The little problems I left behind me when I had my break from modelling have now come home to roost. I had forgotten that I had decided to change the way I would display my little peg planes, moving from my thrown together cocktail stick stand to a proper commercial plastic one.

I had bought a set of square acrylic flight stands - made tabletop game aircraft and space vehicles - because I think they look a lot better than a 'stick'. Actually, I think they look better because they are less noticeable than my cocktail stick contrivance...


The problem with this change in direction was that I had already nearly completed my peg model, so I've had to go back and make a suitable hole into which I could fit the new stand's socket. All I could think of doing was to re-drill the smaller hole I had made for my stick-stand so that I could fit the larger diameter plastic socket into the underside of my plane.


It was a wee bit tricky as I had to use a relatively large drill bit and I was quite worried in case I damaged my model during the handling. I took things slowly and carefully and eventually had a hole into which the plastic stand slid.

What I intend to do next is superglue the socket part of the stand into the hole, that way I can take the plane off the stand if I want. I was a little worried that the small diameter of the square base might not support my plane, but it does (at least it does at this height - 4cm - though if I want to increase the 'altitude' for a game, say, I would have to get a wider base). 👍


Well, job done - and with all the touching up of the model complete all I have to do now is a apply a couple of coats of glass varnish and the job's a good 'un.  That's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment