Sunday 1 November 2020

Weekend Shenanigans

 It's been a busy week and not much has been going on in the little world of Molatero. Mainly it's been 'real life' stuff and work (boooo) but I have managed to move a few of my projects on a stage.

Principally, I finally got around to priming my Prussians. I've been priming so much lately that I actually ran out of primer and so had to pick up a new can (of Rustolium spray primer instead of my usual bargain basement el-cheapo primer)...

To be honest, I didn't notice that much difference between my usual cheap primer and a more expensive named brand. Lesson learned I guess. But, I still love the look of a freshly primed model for some reason and I was very happy with the way my Prussians are going.

Repairing Breakages...
A little something I learned this week was a tip about repairing broken wooden parts. I happened to snap one of the components for one of my Halloween characters (right at the last minute - I was fuming). Because it was such a small part simply gluing the bit back on was not really a option as it was so small it would undoubtedly be apt to break off again very easily, yet I was reluctant to simply bin the part and start again from scratch...

I have been watching a few YouTube videos about renovating old die-cast toy cars lately (living on the edge) and the guys who do these video regularly use a repair technique utilising super glue and baking powder!

I'd never hear of this before, but the baking powder - when sprinkled onto a super glued repair - creates a very resilient joint. So I thought I'd give it a try...

The above picture shows the part I broke - I highlighted the line of the break with black pen - and as you can imagine this part is quite thin and so doesn't present a lot of options whereby I could reinforce any repair (on larger parts I might have drilled a couple of pilot holes into which I could insert a reinforcing piece of wire).

The baking soda and super glue trick worked marvellously well and did indeed dry into a rock hard bond which I could sand back so that the join was almost invisible (which is why I had to use a black pen to emphasise when the break was)!

Very pleased with a new technique in my model making skill set!

Halloween Characters - Construction Complete
I know I'm running behind with these figures but luckily for me they are just as suitable as Christmas stocking fillers as Halloween gifts (if you have identified who these characters are you will understand what I mean)...


They got delayed due to the fact that I decided to add the more than usual sculpted detail using Milliput. Aside from the female character's long hair and skirt I added some lapels and frock coat tails to the male figure...

I never intended to include so many sculpted parts on any of my peg figures - which are by definition intended to be very simplified and stylised caricatures - but, to be honest, I enjoy messing about with Milliput so much I just can't resist adding additional detail where it seems appropriate. These horror themed characters seems to be crying out for some fancy add-ons! 😁

I don't think this will become a norm for the rest of my peg soldiers though.

Featured Peg Soldier Model for October
Now, this is just fantastic! As you may know, I started a 'Peg Soldier FaceBook Group' a couple of weeks ago and things have been progressing nicely. I was very pleased that the group achieved 40 odd members fairly quickly and several have already posted up pictures of some of the things that they have worked on before...BUT...

Yesterday a member posted up a photo of his very first attempt at a peg soldier which he just started after joining the group. I am so chuffed! And it's a little cracker too...


What makes this little fellow - a modern British Fusilier - even more special is that his creator - Paul Mundey - is a Fusilier himself! How good is that?

I love the idea that might have helped inspire - in a small way - someone else to become involved in a craft hobby for the first time. And for a first attempt I think the little soldier is absolutely charming.

All the best to all my readers and I hope that you are all well and keeping your moral up during these difficult times. 👍

1 comment: