Monday 22 February 2021

Back in the Saddle with Peg Figures

Although I've not posted much since Christmas I've not been idle. I've actually been quite busy figuring out (excuse the pun) how best to utilise my new 3D printer for helping me with my peg figure building.

Well, I've actually managed to complete some 3D printed peg characters who I am quite happy with and think I've come up with a design that works with the printer and works for me too! (I've had to modify the way I build my figures a little.)

The above screenshot shows the sort of 3D design work I've been working on, exploring new ways of making parts for my figures and ways of including accessories that are easy to print. One of my frustration with my 'traditional' wooden peg figures was how limited I felt I was with poses and also how fiddly hats were to make (particularly if I wanted multiple copies of the same design). 😄

I had originally considered resin casting to make copies of components that I'd want to use again and again, but my new 3D printer is a terrific way of prototyping and is a lot less messy that dealing with resin and moulds.

I can now experiment unhindered and quickly in a way that wasn't so easy to do with wood. Being able to plan and design components virtually in software took a lot of the guesswork out of making new ideas. Working in wood was a little more convoluted as most times I would never really know if a design would work until I actually carved it, and that could be a lot of wasted time if it wasn't right (as well as a waste of material).

Working with software designs I can be pretty certain something is 'in the ball park' before committing it to print. This saves time and money and materials.

Above: Experimenting with arm poses and ways to attach accessories
to them in software means I can try out endless ideas and combinations.

That's not to say I am abandoning wood, just that I now have the best of both worlds as I can mix mediums to get the figure design that I want (often with wood I made some compromises and had to settle for less dynamic looking or overly simplistic components or poses).

Anyway, after a lot of tinkering about and prototype parts I ended up making a few wholly 3D printed peg figures which I intend to paint. I am please with some of my new ways of doing things - like the rod attachment for arms - and the improved designs - like the semi-rounded arms instead of the old flat ones.


Some of the new features of my 3D peg figures were totally unexpected but fortuitous discoveries. Like the ability to incorporate facial features into a one-piece head and that my PLA prints are a lot lighter than my wooden characters, which will be great come next Christmas as they will be great for hanging on the tree!

Are there any downsides? Well, it has been remarked that being plastic instead of wood kinda detracts from this home-crafted charms a bit (according to some people). But that's a point of view, personally I always thought the 'charm' came from the design and finished painted figure as much as what it was made from. (Though I repeat, I won't be ditching wooden pegs, it will all depend on what I am making the figures for.)

No comments:

Post a Comment