Tuesday 8 June 2021

Back from Holiday - June 2021

 Yay! I'm back! (Well, that should be 'booo' I suppose as it's back to early morning rises for work!) 😩

Anyway, let's have a quick refresher as to what's on the workbench so I can crack back on with the ongoing projects. The first thing is 'Invasion Mars, 1899' and my first Steampunk 'regiment'...

Looking OK, about 75% done I'd say. I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed with the quality of these models, they are a little shoddy. The body of these figures were printed out in one piece, not in separate component parts as I have done previously.

The reason I tried this was to see just how much I could get away with, obviously printing a model in one part makes thing quicker and easier as there are no subsequent assembly required. But the downside is the hit that the quality takes. Printing separate parts means that you can chose the best way to print out each individual part to maximise it's quality - print orientation has a big impact on different shapes of objects - so printing one object vertically might not be the best way to print another, which might be most effectively printed horizontally.

And so, as I said, these one-piece prints are a mixed bag for quality, but the experiment was worth a try as it gives me a bottom line for what I can expect to work. You live and learn.

Anyway, there's not much left to paint on the body, I just have to clean up the arms that I printed and then paint them. At the same time, I'm also painting the prototype model for my Steampunk light infantry unit. This is pretty far on as well...

Moving on...
Aside from this unit of soldiers I was also working on some Christmas gifts (yes, I'm starting extra early) and I think it's interesting to highlight the current project as it might have some influence on future toy soldier ideas. I've been making some festive mantlepiece ornaments based on Victorian Olde Worlde Shops!

What's relevant to this blog is that these little buildings are roughly in 28mm scale, which makes them handy for wargaming related projects. I haven't had much experience in printing 3D wargaming terrain and while this project is overly decorative it's also being very useful in teaching me some of the techniques for making battlefield scenery...


There are a few other bits and pieces going on but I'll wait until they are a bit more advanced before revealing those. But I've plenty to be getting on with in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment