Monday 2 July 2018

Quick Racer

Just a quickie...

I finally solved my peg racer wheel problem, though perhaps not to my complete satisfaction. I had hoped I could turn some nice complete - one-piece - wheels for my racers out of wood, but I could not afford the modelling lathe I wanted this month (and probably not for a few months either).

So...I've been thrashing about trying lots of alternatives, but nothings been to my liking. I resorted to using buttons, but then, I had to think of a way to cover up the tell-tale holes in them - maybe by the addition of a wheel-hub or hub-cap of some sort.

Well, I just happened to be in good old Wilko's the other day and I came across a pack of thier 'Foam Pieces' for arts and crafts projects. Now I have seen foam bits and mixed medium being used before - over on  Wooden Warriors - but I had it in mind that I would have liked my peg figures to have been all wood.


BUT...(There's always a 'but')...

I've come to the end of my tether trying to knock together a wooden solution (without the proper tools) out of down and from flat sheets. All my attempts were...Rubbish!

So, foam...


Actually, I like the yellow wheels! :)

I suppose the one positive about this is that it has gotten me to explore mixed media. But, I'd still prefer to stick just to wood components if I can.

2 comments:

  1. I know I am coming into the third act of the play here with these cars, and I have no idea if they ship overseas or if it would be too expensive even if they do, but my favorite wooden craft parts online supplier has a lot of wooden toy wheels that might look great on these cars. Here is a link.

    http://www.craftparts.com

    That said, I do really like the foam covers for the wheels1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew... Very good point. I envy the American craft market, it seems to have *everything* - every shape and size of wooden components - you can imagine 'of the shelf'. But as you say, it's the cost of import. This is why I hope to buy myself a little modelling lathe at some point, so I can make my own components. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers!

      Delete