Saturday 29 May 2021

What's Going On - May 2021

 Yep, doing a unit of figures (even a small one) is taking time, so I reckon it will still take something like another week of spare time to finish my first 'Invasion Mars, 1899' unit. Sorry, I'm a slow painter.

I have made some progress on the fiddly steampunk gun models that I had designs - I think I overstretched my design ability here - and I got them to print out OK. I just have to remove the supporting sprues and clean them up...

So, what am I also working on that might be mildly interesting to talk about in the mean time?

Well, my youngest daughter and I have been making a start on our DIY Christmas gifts and one of the ideas we had was based on some little wooden mantlepiece ornaments that we found... (Bear with me)...

What we wanted to do was build our own slightly more detailed versions of these Christmassy ornaments and put some lights in them to decorate out front rooms. So I came up with a prototype of my own...


NOW... What has this to do with toy soldiers? Well, at some point I did want to war game with my soldiers and this would entail making some battlefield terrain and furnishings - like buildings and what-not.

So, this festive novelty is actually an interesting experiment in what I can archive if I want to build some scale buildings. And it's been an interesting exercise.

Scale-wise I reckon that this prototype is around either 20mm or 28mm or somewhere in between. While I might struggle to make something in 50/54mm - my printer having a smaller print area - I think I could do something for my peg figures if I print the models out in parts.

I was very pleased by the level of detail and textures I could get out of my printer and I can imagine some of the possibilities for various types of battlefield accessories...

Anyway, it's a intriguing idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment