Sunday 20 December 2020

The Grinch - Part 2

 As usual, every year the time leading up to the Christmas period seems to drag and then - all of a sudden - we are on the final few days and time is flashing by... And I am struggling to complete my nutcracker gifts in time!

I did manage to make progress with my Ginch model, though I have had to simplify it's decoration in order that I can get some of my other Christmas gifts completed as well.

As a matter of fact, I am actually working of several projects simultaneously and am making several of the components in batches. I am making the arms for all my gift nutcrackers together and started by sketching out the poses I wanted for each figure and tracing the designs onto some leftover 3mm plywood tabs...

Once the arms were all drafted I took the tabs over to my Dremmel Moto-Saw (scroll saw) and cut them out. Here's the set of arms I made for my Grinch...

Had I had more time I was contemplating making some 3D sculpted arms - in fact, it crossed my mind to remove the peg legs and turn this figure into a proper model caricature - but I just didn't have the time to spend sculpting bits and pieces. So, I stuck to my flat 2D arms...

Maybe I will return to the idea of a fully sculpted character at some point in the future. But, in the meantime, I carry on as normal and so it was onto priming...

This completed gift set 1 of 3 I intend to get finished in time for Santa to distribute them! 😁 A bit ambitious, but left see if I can rise to the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment