Tuesday 22 September 2020

More Lovecraftian Mythos Shenanigans!

 Although my fantasy world of Molatero is primarily based on the principals of war-gaming H. G. Well's 'Funny Little Wars' I cannot help myself but imagine that while conventional warfare is underway that a very secret and weirder type of war is simultaneously ongoing. That war is the struggle against cosmic horror as conceived by the mind of H. P. Lovecraft! (Tongue firmly in cheek as I write this!) 😉

My latest Lovecraftian duo - A stalwart British Bobby for those mysterious
adventures in foggy old London town and a lowly Cultist foot-soldier,
minion of the creeping cosmic terror!

I have always been a fan of 'weird wars', whether they be a Steampunk version of Funny Little Wars, or the science-fiction influenced 'Luftwaffe 1947' which re-imagined a 'what if' scenario had WW2 extended and allowed the use of some of the more fantastical 'secret weapons' to come into play (including Nazi UFOs). But also, as a fan of Gothic horror, I have mulled over the idea that the fantasy world of Molatero might also have room for a dark and nightmarish sub-culture?

After all, I base my concept of Molatero on the real world cultures and geography of Romania and the Carpathian Mountains, the locale of Transylvania and the haunt of Dracula! 😃

The Molatarian Mountains - 'Where wolf?'

LOL... Enough frivolous fairy-tale nonsense, however entertaining it may be, as you can guess the above tenuous fiction is but an thinly disguised excuse for me to justify the inclusion of Gothic horror and the later Lovecratian Mythos into my blog! 😏


I've featured a few of my Lovecraftian peg figures in past passing before, but I thought it was about time to add 'Weird' characters as a regular feature on this blog. As if I needed extra incentive to do so, I posted a question on the H.G. Wells FLW Facebook Group enquiring whether other FLW enthusiasts added fantasy elements to their games and I was pleased to find that - indeed - other players do!

Unconventional units like Steampunk inspired airships and steam tanks are popular additions and I have even seen some models relating to 'Martian Wars' on sale (although these are intended for other rule systems). This should not be surprising, really, as H. G. Wells was - of course - better known for his fantasy fiction, including 'War of the Worlds'.

So, my sneaking in the fictional entities from another legendary fantasy author kinda has a president! 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment